Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Miss You, Sun!

This is my favorite time of the year. Longest days, most sun, and early summer temperatures. This year, the weather Gods have not been kind to us because the sun has been covered behind clouds and rain. Days long dreariness. After our long, cold winter, this seems like the final indignity.  I had been looking forward to sunny skies, warm temperatures, dry pavement....  The first half of 2009 has been disappointing in many regards, so I suppose the dreary weather provides the appropriate background. As with all things in life, this is temporary.

I managed to ride five out of six days so far this week. Most have been on wet/damp pavement and in very thick humid, gnat-laden, air. But I'm happy to be outside, despite the imperfect conditions. I need the  daily dose of nature to help me get through the weekday slog (commute, work, commute, recover). Even a muted glimpse of the moon through a blanket of grey cheers my soul. 

Hopefully, we won't have rain tomorrow morning so I can get in a 200 mile week. Thus far, I have 187 miles logged, so I'm close.

Weekends means swimming and today is decent outside. Meaning no rain, at least during our usual swim time. I'm going to try some total immersion techniques and see if that helps with my freestyle. With some luck, the pool won't be crowded.  Next week, we should be able to swim after work, since the pool will be free of swim team practice. It's all contingent on the weather.

Margot is getting big and has become quite a gorgeous puppy. She's coming into her own and is learning. Maeve and Fiona seem to enjoy her antics, for the most part. Best of all, she isn't constantly biting!  You can actually hold her and get a kiss instead of a nip.




No comments:

Post a Comment