Sunday, September 20, 2009

Spill

Bike Miles - 36

Well, it was a very cool ride this morning. First time this season where I had chilled extremities despite wearing winter shoes and thicker gloves. Not cold cold, but chilly. As I was on the final miles of my fourth circuit, I saw the guy with his rottweiler walking ahead, up the trail a ways. Kinda odd. He's usually out very early, not so close to dawn. I thought about turning around and avoiding them, but decided that it was dark enough that he'd see my headlight and move himself & cujo out of the way (he blasts an ipod, the fool, so he never hears my verbal warnings). Pass him without incident and head up to circle back for my final circuit.

As I'm climbing the hill after I turn around, I see he and cujo running up the hill, so I aim my headlight off to the side to keep from blinding them. As we both get to the crest, Cujo lunges at me, I hit him, and I go down in the grass. Thank GOD I hit the grass. The guy was stunned. Asks if I'm ok, apologizes, yells at the dog, tells me that the dog "gets excited," etc. I can't remember if he was holding the leash when the dog did it or not; however, he was NOT paying attention. I get up, notice my right leg (groin area where the saddle speared into me) hurts, and check over my bike. Put the chain back on, and it seems ok otherwise.  He keeps asking if I'm ok and apologizing, but to be honest, he seemed a little out of it (stoned, probably). Offered me the use of his cell phone. I told him I was ok and I'd call my husband on my own phone if I needed.  So I left, got on the bike, and decided to bag it, return home. Didn't want to risk a critical failure if the bike has damage I couldn't see. Plus, I didn't want to push it physically. As I was nearing the turn off to the trail home, I encountered another cyclist and warned him of the danger ahead.

I hope this guy has learned his lesson. However if I ever see them in the future, I will either dismount and wait for them to pass or I will turn around to avoid an encounter. 

I seem to be ok. Bruised, particularly in my upper right thigh (groin to around the back).  My left knee is bruised and sore.  My calves are really bruised too.  

Was able to walk the girls without any trouble. I have full range of motion and I didn't break any bones. Will be Advil'ing, icing, and applying arnica gel today.  I anticipate being able to ride and swim tomorrow, so long as I take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment