Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cooling Off, Sorta

Bike Miles - 43
Swim - 1,250/32 mins

Thank goodness, the rain cleared out in time to allow me to ride outside today. I just couldn't bear another trainer session... Anyway, the pavement was still wet, not too many puddles, and there was a good bit of debris in the first underpass. Most of the sand/muck was in the middle, so I could squeeze by on the outside without too much of a problem. Hopefully, once it dries, people won't spread it out all over the path, making the entire thing treacherous.  

The good thing about all the rain is that the heat is pretty much gone. It was humid but cool, with a very nice breeze. It heated up, though, after the sun was out long enough.

The girls were so good on their walks, even the baby. 

Even though it is "seniors swim for free" day, I decided to go to the pool and just swim for 30 minutes. It started out ok but some old day joined me after about 10 minutes. Didn't ask, just said she was getting in the lane. Even though she didn't really keep to her side that well, it was ok (I had the slow lane by the bulkhead).  Not too much later, some very odd old guy comes up and tells me he wants to join us and swim circles. I tried to discourage him, asking him if there were free lanes on the other side. His eyes got big (crazy) and said, "Yes."  So I said, why don't you go there then? He said, "they are fast lanes and I'm not fast."  I said, "neither am I" but I figured I'd just go.  Of course, the mofo LIED. All the lanes were filled with two or more folks. So I decided that I was going to leave but I noticed that the old lady vacated the lane I had been in. I decided to share w/Nutso. He asks me, "can we swim circles," to which I replied, "no, I don't want to swim circles."  Nutso actually went, "awwwww" in a pitiful voice. I figured that hey, I was there first for chrissake and it wasn't costing him anything to split the damn lane.  When one of the lifeguards came by, he started asking why the other lanes were put up in the diving tank.  It wasn't long before another old man got in the lane, just showed up. Luckily, he decided to abandon the lane after having a conversation with Nutso.

I told the other guy that I was going to be done soon, if he wanted to wait, and that I would try to finish up fast. Nutso said, "yes, you are fast."  Meaning I shouldn't be in the slow lane. I ignored him.  When I got out, I thanked the other guy for being patient, and he said that he tried to talk to Nutso about sharing the lane but that Nutso "didn't understand."  LOL.  As I was leaving, Nutso said to me, "how many laps did you swim."  I said to him, in a decidedly terse tone of voice, "enough."  

Felt good during the swim, physically, but Gawd, for a group of people using the pool for free, these old people certainly think they are entitled to take over the place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment