Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day Off!

Bike Miles - 43
Swim - 2,500/70 minutes
Today, I'm taking sick leave for medical appts, including a visit to have my eyes checked. I can no longer see the computer screen with either pair of glasses---end up taking off my specs.  I need progressive lenses and this time, I have to make myself adjust to them. 

Even though I could have slept in, I got up at the usual time and went for a longer bike ride. It was very nice, peaceful, and non-eventful. I felt pretty strong---well, my legs had a lot of power.

I decided to go to the pool when it opened, even though I was afraid it was going to be crowded.  I was third to sign in. Met a really nice older gent who was very friendly. Asked me if I was "new," and I explained that I came in the afternoon because of the commute. However, I'm trying to get an assignment closer to home and if it works out, I might opt for early bird swimming. He wished me luck. He told me that a wide mix of swimmers came in the early morning, including whom he called the "olympians." He said they usually were there Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so I missed out on seeing them (no regrets there). A couple others showed up, including the Saturday Pool Nazi. She glared at me, then rushed over to lay her stake on "her" lane. I ended up having a lane to myself for about 20 minutes, then a really nice lady joined me. She was a "polite" non-splashy type. The place filled up but it was two-to-a-lane, which is fine.  My shoulders, arms and upper back were very sore, but I did quite well.  Ended up doing 100 laps, taking advantage of having the lane to myself and having extra time. Switching to mornings is tempting....it was nice.  I feel stronger in the mornings.

Today is the big day---the Career Board decides whether or not they will approve my going on rotation. During my bike ride, I prayed that they would endorse it so I can take the assignment. It's really a perfect match for me and it would give me a chance to impact mission in a significant way. Otherwise, I have another six months or so of being underemployed, bored, and basically, having days where I have nothing to do.

I ended up walking to the eye doctor--a little over a mile each way. It was getting pretty warm so the walk home ended up being pretty sweaty. Got new specs---progressive lenses. The new frames aren't too exciting but they look fine. We'll see if the lenses work out this time. Thank goodness I got that vision insurance plan. If I didn't have it, I would have paid almost $900 instead of $193.

Overall, it was a great day. I ended up going to the swim store and getting three new suits, plus a bathing cap, all for under $125. The suits were on sale and one was polyester.  Spent the rest of the day with the dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment