Saturday, August 22, 2009

Rainy Saturday

Bike - 2 hrs on trainer
Swim - 2,500/75 mins

While it wasn't raining when I woke up, the radar showed some thunderstorms headed our way so I opted for a Spinervals session, inside on the trainer. I did Have Mercy, one of my favorites. Didn't go all out because I knew I was going to swim afterward, but I got in a good workout.  We got a decent storm while I was on the trainer---lots of vivid lightning.  It didn't pour, which was good because yesterday we had a soaker.

I was the second arrivee at the pool and we had to wait for them to unlock the pool area. The guy with the brown curly hair was there, first in line. I was second. Said good morning, but he didn't seem like the chatty type so I shut up. About five minutes later, this woman comes in. Probably my age or a couple years older. Thin, expensive hairdo/dye job (no evidence of bed head, either, unlike disheveled moi!). She acts like I'm not there and immediately starts talking to the other guy. They knew each other, it was obvious, but the conversation was about the pool. How she talked to the pool manager and the pool will be closed for the day on 7 September, and so on. When another guy joined us, she ran over behind me so he couldn't "steal" her place in line! Let's call her the Pool Nazi. Anyway, Floyd unlocks the door and lets us in. Immediately, she heads down to the diving board end, where I'm going ("curly hair" always claims my favorite lane so I didn't want to ruffle his feathers by asking if I could join him). I decided that the lane next to the bulkhead was fine. Well, the Pool Nazi had put her stuff next to the lane rope in "my lane." She wanted the "medium" lane next to mine but it wasn't set up yet. So she says, "Floyd, the lanes aren't set up" in a very nasty, impatient tone. He replied, "I can only do so much," went back to get his wrench, then jumped in and set them up.  He probably wasn't moving fast enough for her because she got in the lane with me, next to the bouy giving me plenty of room. I could care less.  She swam about a half hour and left, leaving her kickboard on the deck (of course).  Aside from her final "kickboard" lap at the end of her swim where she made a point of splashing like a mofo, she was a good lap sharer. Maybe because she stayed as far away from me as possible.  LOL.

It was pretty amusing. I've encountered her there before---my first Saturday morning swim, I believe.  She was in that medium lane, apparently "her" lane, and I took the one next to the bulkhead. I tried to engage her in small talk but she made it obvious that she wasn't interested. Figured, okaaaay. She did a half hour then. Must be her daily thing. 

I planned to swim an hour but went 75 minutes. Boy, my arms, back, and shoulders were feeling it, but it was in a good way. I had a lot of energy, surprisingly. I alternated freestyle & breaststroke so I was using different muscles. I ended up doing 100 laps again!! I'm so happy that I've gotten the rhythm and breathing down so well that I'm loathe to stop.

It's supposed to rain off and on most of the day, which is OK.  I was able to walk all three girls during a break in the showers. 

Twenty-one years ago today, Brian and I eloped!!  Hard to believe it's been that long....  Nothing special planned, which is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment